Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I'm Just A Normal Guy

In what I like to call "The Ancient Days of MTV", the first music video channel was fabulously entertaining. First of all, they showed music videos, a rarity in these troubled times. Second, the bigtime pop artists weren't making videos, so the only videos MTV had to play were stuff from bizarro european synthesizer bands, so we had lots of Buggles and Tenpole Tudor and Flock of Seagulls mixed in with the protean punkish pop video stars like Pat Benatar and Billy Idol. My friend Brantley has been wandering through the music videos of the Eighties that can be found on YouTube, and he said to me in an email today, "you just can't stump this thing." Well, I can stump anything, so I unleashed my standard huge piece of ammo that I use when trying to bewilder someone about my favourite obscure songs of the early 1980s-- I typed in "Landscape" and "Norman Bates", and wouldn't ya know it, YouTube had it. This is one weird video, one weird song, and it is a shining example of what ruled about MTV in the first three years of its existence. Enjoy.

(BTW, I'm sure I could stump YouTube with one of my early 80s MTV memories, but right now I'm just stunned they had Landscape. Amazing.)

(PS They DO have Tenpole Tudor! Check 'em out--both these songs rule.)

No comments: