Wednesday, March 21, 2007

ISIDTA 19 - Failure

Today's theme is crap, as in the pictured crappy attempt at painting. I spent about an hour and a half drawing in a picture on this canvas, and then the minute I started putting paint on it, I could tell it was going to be a disaster. I kept marshalling on, hoping I could make it into something passable, but once I got to trying to paint the river (the lighter blue glob) I just threw my brush down in disgust. This was meant to be a double-duty project, serving as both an ISIDTA entry and a submission to the Town's Community Art Project, but both those ideas crashed and burned last night. I just can't paint for shit. I don't like paint. It doesn't do what I want it to. Seeing the globs of uneven paint bleeding all over the place and obscuring my lines just frustrates me. Painting is just not my medium.

So after that fiasco, I tried to draw the Riddler. I tried to do it in the style of this amazing Talos Tsui picture of the Justice League. Due to the style, I figured I should eschew pencil and paper and draw the whole thing on the computer. I tried a similar method to the Batman artist I blogged about a few days ago, using a thin blue brush to do the light roughs, then a thicker black brush to do the cleaner roughs. It looked like shit. I tried throwing in some colour to see if that would inspire me to press on, but I was done for the night. I had lost my fire for the whole night's project. I had never really gotten focus from the very beginning, and decided to go ahead and give up.

Better luck next week. I'm sorry, I'll draw that again.

Crappy painting.
Crappy Riddler.
My old crappy stuff.
Kit's stuff.

No comments: