Tuesday, October 24, 2006

CageMatch 10-21-06

So this week I tried something ambitious for the CageMatch video. It was my first foray into character animation, as I tried to make my own "wipe" between pictures by having a horde of bats fly across the screen. The idea was that they would be sudden and surprising, and the cloud of bats would get thicker and thicker, then blotting out the screen before thinning out and revealing the logo of this week's challenger. I met with mixed success. I think it looks okay, although I really had the bats flying about twice as fast as I should've, so it's hard to discern the fact that they are indeed flapping their wings. Each bat is a three-frame animation, and they're pulled across the screen via motion tweens in Flash. I may get inspired to write a more detailed description of how it was all done, especially since Rogers asked me to. Fleeba Flabba.

Anyway, there's also some two-and-three-frame eyeball animations which are just simple crossfades, a British football song, more Bela Bartok (I use him for everything!), and a great cover of "Bela Lugosi's Dead" that I bought from the iTunes store. I can't remember the artist right now; guess I'll have to include that in the "how to" explanation!

Here's the video.
Here's the pictures.

No comments: