Tuesday, June 13, 2006

My Lovely Kitchen


My Lovely Kitchen
Originally uploaded by TedHobgood.
It hasn't been the greatest 24 hours around. Monday was supposed to be my day of rest, relaxation, and romping on the Xbox, after a very busy weekend that saw me doing four shows and produce two videos and get very little sleep. So after dinner with Ethan and Jeff, I go home to relax, and instead encounter a lovely smell. Upon enteringthe kitchen to deposit my leftovers in the fridge, I discover my two kitchen sinks are completely full with stanky brown water, and have overflowed onto the counters and the floor. Huge-ass mess. My art supplies were on the counter, and a few (thankfully empty) sketchbooks got ruined. I spent the rest of the evening moving stuff and sopping up goo.

Turns out the water line that my upstairs neighbour and I share hadn't been cleaned out in a long time, and the aforementioned neighbour loves pouring chicken and rice down the drain. I had noticed things were running slow for a while, but apparently early yesterday, the whole thing just stopped, and when the neighbour ran his dishwasher, it all backed up into my kitchen. Yippee.

Fortunately, I pay a buttload of money to the Homeowner's Association, and fortunately, this time the handyman wasn't a dick about things. On the contrary, he got a plumber out first thing this morning and had the line cleaned. When I returned to my apartment at lunch today, the brown water had finally receded, and I was left with the lovely gunk you see in the picture (click it to get a good closeup view!) The inside of my dishwasher was gunked as well, as the backwash got in there too.

I overreact to stuff like this; it fills my head and I can't do anything else productive until it's resolved. I ended up having a very bizarre dream last night about going to a birthday party with Ethan Kaye and drinking grog, then I was at my dad's house running away from criminals who had broken in, whilst a teenage gang was at war with the Black Panthers on the front lawn. Fortunately, Optimus Prime showed up to lift me in his palm and take me away from the chaos.

Everything ends well. There doesn't appear to be much damage done (other then the sketchbooks and a few crappy paintings). The drains run a LOT better now. It got me off my ass to actually wash dishes. And it was a great weekend with a hilarious CageMatch performance by Bizarro Four String Samurai and a great Natural Selection jam that brought together a lot of area performers.

Back to work, and a much clearer mind.

1 comment:

Simon FitzKit said...

Man, that's awful.
I hope your complex fines your neighbor or similarly makes sure he will think twice before using your waterpipes as his kitchen's lower intestine.