Monday, February 06, 2006

To The Moon, Alice

I was talking to some friend of mine the other day, and we were discussing odd tv shows, amazed at what sort of things made it to the air. My friend gawked at me in disbelief when I tried to explain the plotline for "Salvage 1", a short-lived series from 1979. Basically, a junkyard owner reads about the vehicles and equipment that were left on the moon after the Apollo expeditions, and he sees dollar signs. He figures he's a smart fellow, so he builds a rocket out of the junk laying around his yard, and states that he's going to "go to the moon, salvage all the junk that's up there, bring it back, and sell it." Sounds like a great show, right? It gets better...the junkman is played by Andy Griffith.

I can't make stuff like this up, folks. No, I wouldn't believe me either. Click here to see the whole nutty story of Salvage 1. There's even links to the theme and classic dialogue from the show. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Lisa P said...

I remember Salvage 1! I liked that show, although for some reason I remembered it as a tv movie or miniseries. Maybe because it was so short lived.

Ted Hobgood said...

Actually, it did start out as a two hour tv movie, but then went on to (somehow) produce a season and a half of episodes.

One would think there wouldn't be all that many stories about a space-travelling junkyard owner.