Thursday, February 02, 2006

There Goes My Money

I like action figures. I'm really picky about what I buy, though--it has to be something unique and clever. F'r'instance, yesterday I bought the new "Secret Files" Batman figure, because it shows Bruce Wayne in the Batman costume, but with his cowl removed. What got me to actually buy it, though, is that the removed cowl is made of soft rubber, and hangs behind his head along the cape. This is the little touch that sets this figure apart from the average dreck that is churned out in the action figure world.

One action figure company I've always liked is McFarlane. They consistently produce some of the cleverest, best sculpted, most detailed, most unusual figures ever. They're just heads and shoulders above 97% of the figure companies out there. Problem is, I don't own any McFarlane figures; they just haven't ever produced any characters I've been wildly interested in. Their Janis Joplin is cool, but I don't really need a Joplin figure. I love Kiss, but can't really see myself dedicating a huge amount of real estate in my living room to a recreation of the "Alive" set. Their Monsters and Movie Maniacs series are great looking, but again, I'm not that big of a fan of the characters to actually have them around.

Well, recently McFarlane announced they had secured the Hanna-Barbera license. Now I might be in trouble. I love Hanna-Barbera. I grew up on it. They revolutionized the animation process, and produced some great series in both the comic and scfi/adventure realms. The press release says that McFarlane will be starting out with Fred Flintstone, Tom and Jerry and Quickdraw McGraw figures. That's fine; I won't buy any of those, so my wallet will be safe. I'm hoping he'll soon do his take on great popular characters like Scooby Doo, Josie & The Pussycats, and the fabulous Scatman Crothers-voiced Hong Kong Phooey. McFarlane is actually known for doing figures of characters that might not necessarily be the most popular in a particular genre, so there might be hope for seeing such interesting choices as The Impossibles, Speed Buggy, Grape Ape, or Jabberjaw. A more distant possibility would be Ted favourites such as The Hillbilly Bears or The Hair Bear Bunch. (Hippie bears rule.)

I would like to go on record as saying, if McFarlane makes sets of Clue Club or my favourite, The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan, I'll freak out. Please Todd, bring me The Chan Clan!!!

3 comments:

Ted Hobgood said...

Yeah, it was pretty sad. Plus, they just reused the design for the Silver Age Batgirl, which a) I already have, and b) is far too thin to be the Silver Age Batgirl.

Now where's my "Killing Joke" Batgirl figure?

John Rozum said...

Yeah, as long as these don't end up being some Clive Barker inspired recreations with rabid cyborg Huckleberry Hound, and such, I'm looking forward to the new H-B toys. I've had H-B on the brain a lot lately, as can be seen over at my site , www.johnrozum.com under "news" where I've been recreating a different character each day in collage.

Ted Hobgood said...

John Rozum's site is really worth checking out. His collage work is amazing, and I totally covet his Dr. Quest and his Creeper. If he ever makes an Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan or Scooby Witch Doctor, I'll lose it. To all the Ted Friends: check this guy out.