Thursday, March 02, 2006

Sketch Hobgood

So recently, Johnny Fabulous asked me if I would perform one of the sketches he wrote for the class he just took. I said I'd be glad to; I like the idea of trying out sketch comedy, and Jon is a really nice guy--I was glad to help him out. So last night was the first rehearsal for the shindig, and it looks like it's going to be great fun. The bit I'm doing for Jon is a newsreader with joke headlines, in the tradition of SNL Weekend Update. It'll be yours truly alone on stage, sitting at a desk doing his fake news voice. Last night, Johnny Fabulous filmed me being spun 'round and 'round in a chair for the pretaped intro to the piece. I will say, Mr. Scott Jennings had the scariest gleeful look on his face when he volunteered to be the one to whip me around in circles on the chair. He enjoyed it far too much.

Then Bill (I'm a bad man and don't know Bill's last name. I'm ashamed.) Ferris asked me to sit in for a sketch he wrote, since The Man of Renown, Corey Brown couldn't make the practice. This one is a newspaper office sketch featuring Kif SitzTimons, who is hilarious in his delivery; great voice and physical bits. Well-written and funny sketch, too. Anyway, apparently they liked the reading I did, because Jennings suggested to Bill that he ask me to take the part. So boom, now I'm doing two sketches.

I'm really looking forward to this; I like the idea of doing sketches much more than doing straight improv. I feel much better when I have some vague grasp of what the material is about. I could do the improv necessary for my days in pro wrestling at the drop of a hat, because I know wrestling and am comfortable with it. I could do Match Game because I know Match Game and I know the Macho Man. But I think seat of the pants improv is too abstract for me, at least for the most part. If I'm in a comfortable situation with people I'm at ease with and am not intimidated by, I'm golden. In the situations I've come across where I don't know the people I'm playing with well, or feel that they're so far above me talent-wise, I just don't enjoy myself. I think this sketch experience is going to feel comfortable and creative and loads of fun.

In addition to being fun to play in, the sketch show will also going to be damn fun to watch. Here's one highlight: Johnny Fab also wrote a Charles Manson sketch that will be performed by ethankaye.net. This is damn funny. You must see this. Ethan made me laugh both uproariously and repeatedly. Kit and I had finished our rehearsal, and were going to leave and watch a movie, but we kept getting lured back into the theater to see Ethan do repeated takes. This will be a fun show, and I encourage you to come see it. It's Saturday, March 11, at 11:00, and is paired up with the show I'm always pushing people to come see, the ridiculously entertaining PT Scarborough Is A Movie. This is a double bill you will be glad you saw. Come and enjoy.

1 comment:

Simon FitzKit said...

Bill Ferris

--Tsk if Tim's in Oz