Saturday, April 07, 2007

Kid Koala

I've liked Kid Koala for years, ever since I was introduced to the great animated video for his version of "Basin Street Blues", but I had never seen video of him actually creating his music. Now, thanks to WFMU, I have. This is just amazing. So fluid, so smooth, so confident in his moves. There's a lot more KK stuff on YouTube, including what appears to be a multi-part expansion of the WFMU video that starts here..

I've tried my hand at turntablism back in college. I'd include an mp3 example here, but it's far too embarrassing to see the light of day. Let's just say that this art, like most things, is even more impressive when you try your own hand at it and discover how truly accomplished and talented one must be to create works like this.

No comments: