Friday, February 23, 2007

CageMatch 2/22/07

We had CageMatch last night, and it was a first for us: the challengers (and new champions!) were not DSI folk, but a Level 2 class from IO South. It was great to have outside folk competing, and the guys were as nice as can be. I look forward to working with them again on March 8.

The video was almost silent this week, as I haven't had a voice for over a week now, being sick since the Festival ended. In the end, the humidifier made all the difference, and a last-minute video was made. It was just a series of simple photos and fades, but it did the trick.

I was quite pleased with the identity screen for the IO team, Dead Man Pinata. Believe it or not, I couldn't find a picture of a skeleton pinata. Good lord, I figured there'd be loads of 'em for the Day Of The Dead celebrations, but no. So I drew this little skeleton, adapted from two different DOTD pictures I found (one for the skull and one for the body) and did a quick-and-dirty pattern fill of the white and black sections using paper strips from a Dora The Explorer pinata. (Can you imagine kids beating Dora to get the candy out of her? Weirded me out.) I tried to make it a *bit* 3D and pinata-y by dragging back a black fill of the silhouette and touching it up a bit. The font is from one of my favourite movies, Bloodsucking Freaks.

View the video here.
View the Dead Man Pinata screen here.

No comments: